How To Know Your Friends a Birth, Newborn, or a Child Photographer
I read a blog about "13 Things Your Should Know About Being Married to a Wedding Photographer". The things said were surprisingly right on point! I specialize in Maternity, Birth, Newborn and Family portraits. Here's a list compiled with ways you know your Best Friend is either a Birth, Newborn, or Child Portrait Photographer.
25 Fun Things That Will Prove to You That Your Best Friend (or Spouse) is a Maternity, Birth, Newborn, and Family Portrait Photographer!
1. Your friends "daily" wardrobe" consists of yoga pants, converse and tank tops.
2. Your friends laundry room is stacked with backdrops and blankets that are covered in newborn "mess".
3. When you go shopping, your friend picks up everything she can fit a baby into. No basket is left upturn!
4. That super cute knitted sweater and scarf you got her for Christmas? It will most likely be turned into an even cuter DIY Knit Cap and Legging Set.
5. She really digs random fuzzy blankets and random large baskets, they make amazing gifts.
6. That wood bowl is a newborn prop, it's NOT a decoration please do not touch it.
7. The really "cool" camera that is pretty much glued to her hip, do NOT touch it. Not even when you are kidding.
8. If you see your friend pacing back and forth in front of the mailbox, trust me she's expecting a new prop! When it doesn't come, be supportive. When it does come, be excited for her!
9. And if you think you are impressed that she hasn’t gotten anything in the mail in a while, better check her friend’s houses.
10. Your friend will constantly be doing laundry, if you can't figure why, see #2.
11. And please, never ever try and wash her newborn props in the washing machine.
12. Your friend will try and convince you that she knows how to knit and make props herself.
13. Your friends backyard has been turned into an "out door studio", complete with a DIY Lemonade Stand.
14. Your friend will use words like; squishy babies, froggy pose, taco pose and flokati’s. Which you clearly have no idea what those are but you will hear about them often. Pretend to be excited.
15. You are completely accepting of the fact that your friend gets pooped on at work and may sometimes not even realize it's on her when she meets you for coffee.
16. Perk, your friend if given enough notice will always be there for all of your photography needs.
17. When you hang out at your friends house before or after a newborn session, it maybe about 90 degrees in her home.
18. I promise your friend really does want to know about how your day went, it's just that .... Did you SEE the adorable newborn that she photographed today! Hurry up and check Facebook and be sure to like it!
19. Your friend will be up at all hours of the night, going to bed at 3am isn't abnormal.
20. Don't judge her when she's sitting at her computer in pajamas or yoga pants it's part of the job. She can multitask, yes being on Facebook and editing at the same time can happen and clearly does.
21. Your friend is made up of 80% coffee, 10% baby pee, and 10% sleep.
22. Don’t be alarmed if she's shopping for baby blankets, booties, and bonnets. It's a part of the job, no she's NOT pregnant. Don't even ask!
23. What ever you do, do NOT ask her “How much did that cost?” in front of her spouse.
24. Your friend will have issues with her back and complain about knee pain on a regular bases. A gift certificate for a massage would make an amazing gift if you don't want to add to her addicting prop collection.
25. If you really want to take your friend out on the town, take her antique shopping!
I hope you enjoyed this awesome list. If you like it, share it! Have something to add to the list? Comment below!
Be sure to check me out on Facebook, I love my fans!
Newborn Photographer, Birth Photographer, Oceanside Newborn Photography, Oceanside Newborn Photographer, Oceanside Birth Photographer, Oceanside Birth Photography, Children Photographer
Elope to La Jolla
I had the honor of photographing the beautiful elopement wedding ceremony of Michael and Brittany at the La Jolla Wedding Bowl on July 20, 2014. They traveled in from Colorado with a few friends and Michael's father. There wedding started right before sunset, which meant I got to capture several stunning sunset portraits during their ceremony.
Chaplain Mary Cyr of Vows from the Heart created a romantic wedding ceremony for both Brittany and Michael. Many precious moments were created, laughs were shared and tears of happiness were shed.
Below is a sneak peek from their elopement wedding ceremony.
Be sure to share the love and comment below.
Come Visit Me on Facebook www.facebook.com/heatherjpotterphotography
Are you ready to ROCK the BABY BUMP during your very own Maternity Portrait Session? Well, here's your chance to enter and WIN a FREE Maternity Portrait Session with Heather Potter of HJP Photography during the month of September.
I am extremely excited to offer the winner of this contest the ability to wear a BEAUTIFUL Leyah Infinity Maternity Gown along with an ADORABLE Vintage Belly Sash created by Valerie Best of Sew Trendy Accessories during their FREE Maternity Portrait Session.
Please note, those wishing to enter this contest need to be willing to rock the baby bump while wear this GORGEOUS Sew Trendy Accessories maternity gown and sash! The baby bump doesn't have to be fully exposed, so no worries there.
Gown size per Sew Trendy Accessories: One size fits most. Intended for those size 16 and below.
SPECIAL OFFER FOR THOSE ENTERING CONTEST
I'm offering $50 off a Maternity Portrait Session to those who enter this contest and do not win. It's a Win-Win for everyone!
Please be sure to follow the steps below in order to properly enter the contest. It is important that you like the pages requested in the entry form, plus you can share this contest with your friends and family for a chance to earn additional points (SEE BELOW FOR DETAILS)!
FREE Maternity Portrait Session will Includes:
I get asked a lot by expecting moms "When do I start looking for a photographer" and "When do I book a maternity photoshoot".
My first response is ... It's never too early to pre-book your session wth your photographer.
Here's some keys things to keep in mind.
1. Start looking at portfolios of photographers you are interested in working with.
2. Make sure their style fits yours.
3. Make sure the have professional equipment and know how to use it.
Many "photographers" claim to be professional yet aren't.
Keeping in mind, maternity portraits along with newborn and first family portraits are not replaceable, you'll only be pregnant 1 time with you little one. Don't take the chance on missing those magical moments.
Book early as photographers only have so much availability, most photographers will gladly get you on their schedule as soon as you are ready to pick a date and time. Most good photographers are booked at least a month in advance, unless they have a cancelation.
Get to know your photographer. Ask them as many questions as you can, check out their portfolio, then look for images that you like and share those images with your photographer.
Being able to know what you like and dislike is key. If you know you like super crisp images and you don't like the dreamy look, tell your photographer.
Remember your portrait session will only be that much better if everyone communicates their needs and wants.
And don't forget ... HAVE FUN! Maternity sessions along with newborn and family portrait sessions are meant to be fun and memorable.
Have a blessed day and happy searching. Enjoy your pregnancy!
First off let me start by saying congratulations on your pregnancy!!! This is such an exciting time with so many moments you'll cherish the rest of your life.
I know there are tons of local photographers to weed through when searching for a professional birth photographer, with that said I thought I would tell you a little about myself.
I am a photographer with over 16 years of experience. I specialize in lifestyle portraits and take a journalistic approach to birth, newborn and family portraits. I believe this style allows me to not only provide beautiful portraits for my clients to cherish for generations to come, but to create a story that can be shared.
That's what birth photography is all about. Being able to really create and tell the entire birth story.
Because I love birth and newborn sessions so much, I hope to be able to provide support during the labor and birth process as well as capture the precious moments of labor and delivery for my clients.
A little additional background on me ... I am a member of the International Birth Photographers Association as well as a member of the Newborn Photographers Association. I have been recently screened and had a background check done as well.
If you are in the market and searching for a Birth Photographer and/or Newborn Photographer, I would love the opportunity to meet with you and your spouse and/or labor coach. I believe meeting with my clients prior to a birth is 100% necessary to making sure all questions are answered and that we are able to connect.
I hope we get a chance to meet.
Military Monday's - Elope To La Jolla
I had the pleasure of meeting Michael and Lois at the La Jolla Wedding Bowl on July 14, 2014. There wedding took place during sunset, which made for a romantic backdrop for the beautiful couple.
Michael who serves in the United States Navy wanted to make sure the moment was perfect for him and his bride. They knew they didn't want a simple courthouse celebration and he knew that by going to Rev. Christoper Tuttle of Military Mondays he would be able to create a very special wedding ceremony as his dear friends did when they were married by Chaplain Mary of Military Mondays.
Everyone came together for this beautiful couple!
Along with Rev. Christopher Tuttle, the following Military Monday hero's included myself Heather J Potter Photography to capture the moment for our couple, a beautifully designed bridal bouquet by Robin at Grand Floral and serenading our couple with her beautiful violin was Francesca from Caprice Strings.
“Military Mondays™, is a public service and philanthropic effort of Rev. Christopher Tuttle and Chaplain Mary Cyr of Vows From The Heart Ministries, Elope to San Diego™ and My Wedding Friends®. This San Diego elopement service is FREE to all full time active military as an alternative to the “Courthouse” wedding regardless of branch of service, time in the military or rank.
Do you or your family members have a special military event happening soon?
I am a Southern California based photographer with over 18 years of experience working side by side with several Military commands and units in Southern California.
As a military spouse for 16+ years I have had the pleasure over the years to work side by side with several commands as their preferred homecoming and event photographer. I have also volunteered my time as a Family Readiness Assistant during several deployments. I personally know what it's like waiting for your loved ones to return home from deployment.
Whether you need a photographer to capture your spouse or family members first military homecoming or their last, I am here to offer not only my professional services but my support as well. I have had the pleasure of photographing many military homecoming sessions within the last couple of years aboard Camp Pendleton and know first hand the long hours one waits for their loved ones to step off that plane, boat, or bus!
Keep in mind, I'm here to not only help you photograph your next Military Homecoming Session but any and all Military related events and ceremony's. I have experience photographing special military events and ceremony's to include: special award ceremonies, military commissioning ceremony's, military graduations, as well as reenlistment and new rank ceremony's.
Sit back and relax during these special events and moments in your life. When you hire me to be your professional photographer you won't miss out on the entire experience and you'll be sure to have beautiful photographs from the event to share with your family and friends for many years to come.
I take great pride in my work as I photograph such life changing events and would be honored to be your event photographer during your families special military related events.
If you would like to hire me as your photographer for your upcoming Military Homecoming or Military Event and Ceremony photographer, please complete the form below. Please be sure to give only details you are allowed to release, I will contact you via phone for more specific details pertaining your upcoming event.
Family and 1st Birthday Portrait Session
I had the pleasure of meeting Ashley through a Military Family Facebook page. I reached out to her in regards to her needs for a family photographer. They needed their daughters 1st birthday portraits taken along with family portraits. After a only a few messages back and forth, I knew through Ashley's excitement that their portrait session was going to be a lot of fun.
Ashley and her husband Tyler arrived with their beautiful little girl, but that's not all. They had brought balloons, a chair and a mirror to use as props during their daughters 1st Birthday portraits. Their daughter had the cutest little matching outfits for her session. The basket is a prop I have, like it? I LOVE IT!
We took a stroll into the park to capture the families portraits. We had a lot of fun getting their little one to smile, from singing silly songs to making dog noises. Anything to bring a smile to her beautiful little face.
As you can see, the Smith Family did great!
Heather J. Potter